Being hungry sucks (it’s a scientific fact). So why spend hours cooking a gourmet feast when a nutritious and delicious meal could be only 12 minutes away? Skip the grumbling tummy and cranky guests and serve up any one of these 52 satisfying meals.
1. Chocolate-Blueberry Shake Blend together 1 packet chocolate breakfast powder (like Carnation Breakfast Essentials), 1 1/2 cups milk of choice, and 1 cup frozen blueberries. Optional: Add a scoop of protein powder for improved muscle recovery.
2. Cold Pizza Nope, not the takeout kind! Toast 1 slice whole-grain bread and top with 2 tbsp. ricotta, 1 large basil leaf, 2 tomato slices, a drizzle of olive oil, and salt and pepper.
3. Eggs in a Muffin Heat a pan with a spritz of cooking spray over medium heat. Season 1 egg with salt and pepper, scramble, and cook to desired consistency (no more than five minutes). Top egg with 1 slice cheddar cheeseand allow cheese to melt. Pile egg and cheese on 1 toasted whole-wheat English muffin and add 1 slice cooked Canadian bacon. (Use half the muffin and eat it open-faced to save a few calories!)
4. Canadian Waffles Toast 1 whole-wheat waffle and top with 1 slice cooked Canadian bacon, 1 over-easy egg (prepared with cooking spray), and a 1 to 2 tsp. drizzle of maple syrup.
5. Cereal A-Go-GoSwap out the milk in a bowl of cereal for 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt flavored with 1/8 tsp. lemon zest and 1 tsp. honey. Add ½ cup bran flakes and some extra flavor with ¼ cup fresh berries or 1 tbsp. sliced almonds.
6. Breakfast Taco In a pan spritzed with cooking spray over medium-high heat, scramble 3 egg whites, a small handful of spinach leaves, and 1 tbsp. drained and rinsed black beans. Season with salt and pepper. Wrap mixture in an 8-inch whole-wheat tortilla and top with 1 tbsp. salsa.
7. Oatmeal in an Instant Skip pre-made packets in favor of this homemade version. Combine ½ cup rolled oats, 1 cup milk or water, and a pinch of salt, and microwave for 3 minutes. Stir in toppings of choice, like 1 tsp. maple syrup, 2 tbsp. sliced almonds, or ¼ cup dried fruit.
8.PB & H Waffle Toast 1 whole-grain waffle and smear with 1 tbsp. natural peanut butter. Drizzle with 1 tsp. honey and sprinkle with 1 tsp. sesame seeds.
9. Mini Wrap Top an 8-inch whole-wheat tortilla with 2 slices Canadian bacon, ½ sliced apple, and 2 to 3 slices cheddar cheese. Roll up and microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute, or until cheese is melted.
10. Vegan Breakfast Scramble In a frying pan over medium-high heat combine ½ cup tofu (crumbled), a handful of spinach, ¼ cup chopped red peppers, 1/8 cup chopped onion, 1/8 cup chopped vegetarian bacon, and a few dashes of paprika. Sauté until veggies are cooked and tofu is heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
11. Broiled Grapefruit Preheat broiler and halve 1 chilled grapefruit. Sprinkle each half with ½ tsp. sugar and ¼ tsp. cinnamon. Broil both halves on a baking sheet for 3-5 minutes. Serve with 1 slice of whole-wheat toast spread with 1 tbsp. nut butter for a complete breakfast.
12. Nutty ‘Nana Toast 1 slice whole-grain bread and top with 1 tbsp. crunchy almond butter and ½ a sliced banana.
13. Berry Yogurty Smoothie Blend together ½ cup frozen strawberries, ½ cup frozen blueberries, 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt, 2 tsp. honey, and ¼ cup milk of choice.
14. Sweet n’ Savory Breakfast Pizza Preheat the broiler (or toaster oven). Microwave 2 slices turkey bacon for 30-60 seconds (or until crisp) and crumble once cooked. Spread 1 tbsp. low-fat ricotta on 1 whole-wheat tortilla. Top with ¼ cup sliced strawberries and/or blueberries and the bacon. Broil 5 minutes or until fruit softens and begins to caramelize.
15. Sun-Dried Tomato Omelet Coat a pan with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Pour in 3 egg whites mixed with 1 tsp. water and salt andpepper (to taste). When eggs begin to set, top half with 2 tbsp. goat cheese, ½ cup fresh spinach, and 2 tbsp. chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Fold in half and cook 2 more minutes, or until egg whites are set, veggies are warmed through, and cheese is melted.
16. Frog in a Hole Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Spread 1 slice of whole-grain bread with 1 tsp. butter. Use a cookie or biscuit-cutter to cut a hole in the center of the bread. Place the bread— buttered-side down— in the pan and crack 1 egg into the hole. Cook until egg sets, about 2 to 4 minutes. (Flip half way through for a more well done egg.)
17. Fruit ParfaitLayer together: 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt sweetened with 1 tsp. honey, ½ cup granola, and ½ cup frozen blueberries and strawberries.
18. Breakfast Quickie Cookie In a microwave-safe bowl, combine ½ cup oats, ¼ cup liquid egg whites, 1 ½ tbsp. brown sugar, 1 ½ tbsp. all-purpose flour, ½ tsp. vanilla extract, ½ tsp. baking powder, 2 tbsp. raisins, and cinnamonto taste. Flatten half the mixture into the bottom of the bowl and microwave for 45 seconds. Pop cookie out of the bowl and repeat with second half of mixture.
19. Pumpkin MuesliCombine ¼ cup quick-cooking oats and ¼ cup pumpkin puree in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and nuke for 20 seconds. Let sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine ½ cup plain nonfat yogurt, 2 tbsp. honey, 1 tsp. lemon zest, and 2 tbsp. sliced almonds in a separate bowl. Stir yogurt mixture into the oat mixture and enjoy. Extra points for adding fresh fruit, too!
20. Quinoa Salad Microwave ½ cup quinoa (rinsed) and 1 cup water for 5 minutes at full power. Reduce to 70 percent power and microwave another 5 minutes. Fluff and stir in: 2 tbsp. chopped bell pepper, ¼ cup rinsed and drained chick peas, 1 tbsp. chopped parsley, 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Optional: Add ½ can tuna for a meatier meal.
21. Taco SaladFor the dressing, combine 2 tbsp. salsa, 1 tbsp. low-fat Greek yogurt, 1 tsp. olive oil, and 1 tsp. chili powder. Serve dressing over a salad with: 2 cups baby spinach, ½ thinly sliced celery stalk, 1 chopped scallion, 1 tbsp. chopped black olives, 2 tbsp. corn, and ¼ cup drained and rinsed black beans. Optional: Add ½ lightly toasted tortilla cut into strips to each salad.
22. Mediterranean Pita Split open a whole-wheat pita and spread one side with 2 tbsp. hummus. Add 1 large roasted red pepper (sliced), 1 tbsp. crumbled feta, 1 tbsp. black olives, 5 slices cucumber, and a small handful of mixed greens.
23. Niçoise Sandwich In a bowl, combine 1 6-oz. can tuna, ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes, ¼ cup pitted black olives (chopped), and 1 tbsp. olive oil. Split open ¼ whole-wheat baguette (about 4 inches in length) and fill with the tuna mixture and a handful of baby spinach leaves.
We as a society really need to stop romanticizing the idea of “needing” romantic partners and “not being able to live without them” because it is incredibly unhealthy and leads people to wind up in unhealthy situations of dependency or feeling dependent and not thinking to change that mindset because it seems romantic
My nose is stuffy, my head feels dizzy, and my body feels like it just got run over.
This better go away before I leave for vacation this weekend…